Finally! A tree for our master bedroom!

You guys should know by now that not only do I love Christmas but I'm also an avid DIYer! So in this post I've combined those two passions and am ready to give you a teeny tiny tutorial on my quick and easy tomato cage tree!



A goal of mine over the past few years has been to have a tree in each room of the house. So this little tree I was able to throw together last night worked out perfectly!

So first things first, for this project all I had to go purchase was a tomato cage, everything else I already had lying around.

Here's a list of everything I needed:

  • crate (or basket big enough to fit your cage in)
  • lights (and decorations depending on the look you're going for!)
  • old garland


That's it!

Don't mind the horrible quality of this picture, I took it at night so there was terrible lighting. But here's my tomato cage. I picked out a taller version that came pre-painted green. This one was around $8 from Home Depot.



And here's my big pile of old garland. There's three pieces in all and this turned out to be the perfect amount.


So the first thing I did was cut any old light strings off the old garland. Next I unraveled each garland and tried to get them to lay as flat as they could to make wrapping them around the cage easier. Because these garlands had thick, bendable wire hook type things on both ends I didn't even need the florists wire I had envisioned having to use to hold the garland on the cage. I just bent the garlands wire hook around the top most point of the cage and started wrapping down, adjusting the spacing between rows as I went. Whenever I reached the end of one piece, I'd just fasten the next garland on to the one before it and keep going.

Once I was done wrapping the cage, which now resembled an actual little tree, I got the hubby to wedge in into this $10 Michales crate I had lying around the house. My original plan was to use one of my baskets as it's base but I really loved the more rustic crate look instead!











Well, what do you all think?!
For $8 and a half hour's work I think she looks pretty good if I do say so myself!

My tree, after being nestled in it's crate, stands almost 5ft tall! I looked up similar trees and the prices varied from $20 all the way to $60+!
If you're thinking of creating a cheaper version yourself but don't have any random garland pieces laying around I'd recommend checking dollar stores or even waiting until after Christmas and snagging as much as you can for dirt cheap! I'm already thinking ahead about making outdoor versions for next year!

What are some of your favorite festive DIYs you've done? I'd love to see pictures so please post some below! 

Thanks for taking the time to check out my little tree post and as always ...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog