DIY No Sew Drop Cloth Curtains!

Have you guys seen those awesome DIY posts about drop cloth curtains?
No?
Oh my gosh, well let me tell you I just made mine and I think I'm in love!



I realize that the "proper" way to hang curtains is to raise the rod all the way to the ceiling, but I just never like that look when I try it. So, I'll stick to my improper way of hanging curtains for now. Anyway, these were the easiest curtains to make. If I can even claim that I made them since they were just that simple.

This is the brand I bought. I literally just picked this one up off the shelf at Home Depot, looked at the size and threw it in my cart. I realize now that some posts talk about buying a certain brand, but as far as I'm concerned this one worked perfectly!


I picked the 9X12 size just to be on the safe side since I didn't know the exact size of the sliding glass doors I was hoping to cover. This particular drop cloth cost $21 which is an absolute steal considering curtains run $20 - $40 a panel usually! Thankfully this size was perfect!

I noticed on a couple other blogs that the writers recommended washing your drop cloth a few times before hanging. I think just to soften it up a little bit but I'm impatient and didn't wash mine.

First thing I did do was attempt to spread the drop cloth out on the floor. I say "attempt" because this thing was really heavy and kind of hard to maneuver since I'm only 5'1! A second pair of hands would've been very useful for that part.

My biggest concern for this project was making sure I cut the two pieces evenly. Well let me tell you, once I got this thing all spread out I saw, what I considered to be, a miracle. For whatever reason there was a perfectly hemmed seam running directly down the middle! 



I folded it over so you guys could see (it's that seam on the left). How great is that! I was literally so happy that I didn't have to fidget with a measuring tape and all that and risk coming out with crooked curtains!

Now all I have to do is hem the one side of the cut curtain one day. But I'm really not in a rush to do so, especially since that particular side is up against the wall when they're hung.

When I went ahead and made the cut down the seam, the two panels were much easier to handle on my own. So I spread out one panel, and using an old curtain as a template for length, folded the top side down and then back up again. Creating a sort of valance look.



I used two bags of the $7 curtain clips from Target and all done!

Easiest DIY ever and I really love how they look! They're actually so heavy that they're kind of room darkening curtains as well which is an added bonus. I adore the way they pleat and if I get ambitious I may even iron them to get out any little wrinkles. But they're so heavy they'll probably just weigh themselves down and de-wrinkle on their own over time.

Another great thing about using drop cloths as curtains is you can dye or bleach them, so I've heard. I just love all the possibilities! I think I'm actually going to use one as my Thanksgiving table cloth this year (I have something special planned for that so come back!).



                   This picture shows the un - hemmed side (furthest to the right) and you can't even really tell. 

All in all this was probably one of the easiest projects I've ever done and I'm 100% happy with how it turned out!

I woke up this morning still so giddy about my new curtains I went out and got a celebratory Eggnog Latte from Starbucks and hit up Homegoods with my best friend!






If any of you try this DIY out I'd love it if you posted pictures below!

Have a great weekend & God bless!

P.S. Don't forget to thaw out the turkey!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog